I have a skill in my skill set that I’m not very proud of. It is something that I know that I’ve been able to do — and do well — since I was in junior high. My ability probably manifested itself before that time. In fact, I recall when I was in my 20’s, my mother found my kindergarten report card. The signs were there then: doesn’t always play well with others (I’m better now, thank you) and has difficulty staying on task.
That’s right: I excel at Procrastination. Take today as an example. I said that I was going to work on my novel today. I didn’t set any goals for word count, but I was hoping to write until about 2pm. It is now 1:47 EST. So far, I have:
* Experimented with some new hair product that my stylist gave me last Friday.
* Checked on due dates for library books.
* Read email. Several times.
* Looked up doctors in my son’s college town for him. Gave him remedies for his cold. Verified his insurance.
* Exchanged some email jokes with a friend.
* Read through several posts on Open Salon. Made several of the authors a ‘favorite’. Checked my current stats on the essay I posted last week. (Bragging: was made an “editor’s pick” and on the weekend cover page. It is a revised version of this post.)
* Made breakfast.
* Made lunch.
*Made soup for dinner. Looked up recipes to make soup taste better. Improved soup.
* Tried on my new outfit (for a function next weekend) to determine what shoes would go best with it. Finding a blouse is probably more important, but I was focused on the shoes.
* Called my sister and figured out a time when she can help me hem said outfit. Debriefed a family event yesterday. Restrained myself from being catty. Really, I did!
* Thought of four new essay ideas.
* Played a game on the computer.
* Played Facebook. Not really much different from a game, except for formatting. And no points.
* Observed the woodpeckers and robins in the yard.
* Answered a few phone calls.
* Ignored a few phone calls.
* Investigated a limited offer coupon deal. Spoke with stone mason about said deal.
* Gathered up recycling.
* Investigated getting a flu shot today.
* Checked blog stats. Tried to figure out some of the referer links. (Always a mystery to me).
* Deleted spam comments.
* Wrote this.
Word count on novel remains the same. Productivity is all a matter of framing.